How to implement Robotic Process Automation (RPA)?
This question is often asked at the start of considering RPA and there are many possible approaches to RPA implementation. Deciding which approach is a conversation to be held between a client and Ether Solutions where they factors can be discussed and balanced to reach a conclusion.
This is a typical approach for RPA implementation undertaken by Ether Solutions.
- Workshop to exchange knowledge of “What RPA can do”
- Identify and review existing business processes as candidates for RPA
- Conduct business case analysis for RPA of candidate processes
- Agree success criteria
- Agree change management approach
- Agree risk and compliance approach
- Agree technical architecture and resources
- Undertake POC (Proof of concept) for any unusual features in automation
- Formulate development plan and work breakdown
- Agree testing plan, methods, criteria and resources
- Implement robot software infrastructure with development and production environments plus potentially one or more test environments
- Design robot(s) including use of features for security, audit trail, monitoring, backup, re-start and recovery
- Agree any “Pilot” implementations, phases of implementation and agile sprint delivery factors
- Agree “Naming” standards, “Password” management and source control method
- Build robot(s) for automation of business process
- Test robot(s) both functional and non-functional aspects
- Document development and operation of robot(s)
- Document deployment of robots into production environment
- Conduct any required skills transfer and knowledge sharing for client staff involved with RPA
- Agree “Centre of Excellence” role, scope, responsibilities and objectives (Robot on-going support, bug fix, enhancements, new developments, skills and training)
- Agree “Robotics Operation Centre” role, scope, responsibilities and objectives
- Complete the deployment of tested robot(s) into production
- Perform the on-going monitoring of robot(s) operation
- Maintain a capacity plan on robot(s) usage
- Plan for software upgrades and patches
- Maintain usage of robots section of business continuity plans
- Develop and periodically review the standards for robot development and deployment
Ether Solutions is able to undertake all of the activities but can also act as an adviser to client staff while they perform the activities or any hybrid combination of the tasks to meet the overall business needs of the client both during the initial RPA implementation and the on-going operation of the RPA software robots.