There are many use cases that occur in business situations where these activities take place. The following list of use cases provides an indication of the generic situations which will need to be interpreted to identify specific situations in individual companies.
Knowing when to use RPA and when not to use it is often a key decision to ensure success of a solution.
Most businesses will use a number of application packages (e.g. Finance, ERP, HR, Logistics). Each application package will provide core functionality, but where there is a business requirement that is not delivered in the current functionality or where it is split across application packages a solution could be bespoke custom development or RPA.
Custom application development is a good option if the requirement is:
- Long term requirement
- APIs to the application pages are available
- The transaction level is high
- Business can wait for development to progress through IT development queue
RPA is a good option:
- Short / medium term requirement
- Application packages may change functionality
- The transaction level is low or medium
- Business needs a solution quickly and does not want to employ people to perform the work
This is a list of use cases which can be implemented with RPA:
- Web site or cloud application extract data and save to Excel
- Use data from Excel to populate web application
- Copy data from one web application to another web application
- Check data value alignment / comparison between web applications
- Monitor Email Inbox and save attachments from selected emails
- Monitor a folder (Directory) for new documents and process each document
- Examine email for subject line and message text to determine “Sentiment” to classify as an “Enquiry”, “Complaint”, Other.
- Access a supplier portal to obtain quotes, place orders, and get delivery notes
- Access a customer portal to obtain quote requests, submit quotes, obtain purchase orders, and submit invoices
- Extract data from invoices and populate accounts payable system
- Extract data from invoices for cost allocation to generate "reseller" invoice charges
- Create evidence of End to End information from systems to meet auditor requirements
- Perform standard helpdesk functions such as password resets
- Perform standard helpdesk functions such as close account when an employee leaves
- Daily overnight credit checking against public information for current customers
- Know Your Customer (KYC) checks that assemble information from specific sources
- GDPR / FOI – data subject access requests can draft response by assembling information from known sources
- Book couriers from preferred supplier lists, based on availability
- Shipment tracking by accessing a logistics portal to monitor the progress of packages to the delivery locations
Please contact us to discuss how RPA Robots could be used in your business.