Oracle Document Capture provides the method for managing the scanning process. The software is also known as “Oracle WebCenter Enterprise Capture” and “Oracle WebCenter Capture”.
Historically scanning was from paper but most modern implementations are using scanning for Emails, Email Attachments and "Watched Folders".
Harness the Value of Your Corporate Knowledge and Information
With Oracle Document Capture, you can electronically process important information locked in paper documents. This can help you improve employee productivity and collaboration, reduce transaction times, and increase document security. For both paper-based and electronic document capture, this fully integrated solution automates back-office business processes and complements existing applications.
Oracle Document Capture provides unlimited scanning without any volume restrictions. So whether it is pile of paper or a busy email inbox, Oracle Document Capture can process it.
The application supports ISIS and Kofax Adrenaline/VirtualReScan, the two leading high-volume document scanning interfaces.
- ISIS support—ISIS provides a standard interface for document scanners along with a variety of image-processing features. ISIS has become the de facto standard within the document-imaging industry, and most document scanner manufacturers provide ISIS drivers with their scanners.
- Kofax Adrenaline/ VirtualReScan support—Oracle Document Capture leverages the power of Kofax’s Adrenaline scanning platform. Installed as a Microsoft Windows driver and fully configurable through the Windows control panel, this platform provides sophisticated, flexible support for Kofax accelerator cards and ISIS environments. Through VirtualReScan technology the software delivers advanced image-processing features and automatically checks for adjustment, contrast, and image clarity at scan time.
Oracle Document Capture provides image thumbnail support during batch review. Thumbnails make it easy for the scan operator to quickly review the quality of all images within a batch. Scan operators can append, insert, replace, and delete pages within a batch using drag-and-drop functionality.
Oracle Document Capture streamlines the key-from-image process through a user interface designed for rapid data entry and integration with business applications.
Indexing operators can reduce data entry errors by linking to external databases to retrieve information. For example, an indexing operator can search a corporate database by customer name to retrieve and auto-populate an account number field.
Robust Pick-List Support
Administrators can define their own pick-list values or link a pick-list to a corporate database. Using a database-linked pick-list provides real-time data access and minimizes administrator maintenance. For example, a customer name pick-list can automatically retrieve all customer names from an accounting database.
Recognition technologies streamline the key-from-image process. Specifically, barcode and patch code values can be assigned to index fields and used to separate multi-page documents within a batch. Using optical character recognition (OCR) the application automatically populates document data into index fields.
Multiple Implementation Scenarios
The application architecture supports a number of implementation scenarios.
- Production document capture—multiple indexing workstations enable the use of one or more high-speed document scanners
- Document exception indexing—any images that fail recognition get routed for manual indexing
- Centralized indexing with distributed capture—scan documents at remote sites while indexing at one central location
- Quality assurance workstation—verify indexing results from barcode or OCR workstations, Oracle Document Capture clients, and other workstations
- Scan centrally, index remotely—production-level document indexing from remote locations is supported in a terminal or Citrix server environment
Automated Document Indexing
Oracle Document Capture automates the most expensive, time-consuming step in the document management process—indexing. To enable automation, document barcodes are automatically recognized and applied to associated index fields.
Multiple Barcode Symbology Support
The application supports 2-D barcodes and many popular 1-D barcodes. Barcodes can be read and indexed in any orientation, even skewed and upside-down.
Database Driven Indexing
Barcodes containing unique values—such as a voucher numbers, transaction numbers, and policy numbers—can be used to retrieve corresponding index data, such as a vendor or customer name, from corporate databases.
Comprehensive Document Importing
Oracle Document Capture lets you easily import images and other electronic documents for indexing and archival into your content management system. The software works with multifunction devices, e-mail, fax and FTP servers, microfiche-to-image conversions, and images captured using third-party software.
Electronic Document Conversion
With Oracle Document Capture you can import and convert electronic documents into a standard image format. This ensures that you can view documents in the future regardless of the version or existence of the source application.
Import e-mail text and attachments using popular standards. Oracle Document Capture converts non-image documents into an image format and maps e-mail fields such as To, From, and Subject directly to document index fields.
A built-in scheduler allows administrators to independently configure batch import jobs defined for specific import applications. Importing can take place from local or network folders, e-mail accounts, list files, fax servers, and custom import providers.
Efficient and Reliable Archiving
Archiving documents in your content management system is the final step in the capture process—the application architecture is optimized for archival efficiency.
Eliminate Performance Bottleneck
Oracle Document Capture reduces the time required to commit your documents by offloading the document commit process from the index workstation.
Control Network Impact
Oracle Document Capture lets you schedule when you want the document commit process to take place, helping your organization control network traffic and improve system performance. Users can take advantage of the built-in scheduling capabilities to control when documents are archived into the content management system.
The application is highly configurable, enabling you to invoke the features necessary for your organization, including: prioritized committing, detailed commit logging, e-mail notifications, event logging, batch retry adjustments, and old log file deletion.
Ether Solutions has implement the Oracle Document Capture technology for a number of clients and would be pleased to discuss how it could be used in any business,